With 700m to go of the men’s Endurocad 5000m that was run last night in Stellenbosch, Nedbank running clubs Anthony Timoteus threw in such a powerful surge that obliterated the chasing pack who could not respond. He was only seen again at the finish.
Crossing the line in 13:36, Timoteus had hands raised in the air victorious and running off with a new personal best time. “There is nothing else I can say about my run except thank you Lord,” said an elated Timoteus after his run. It was a run that now puts Timoteus as a firm favourite to take gold at the upcoming South African Track & Field Championships which take place in Cape Town next month.
Fresh off a 3:43 new 1500m personal best, teammate Bruce-Lynn Damons ran a well-judged race to finish 9th in a packed field, running 14:12. In the women’s 1500m, Kobie Griffiths finished 4th in 4:32.
Over in Gqeberha, it was a 1-2 finish for Nedbank running club athletes Kelly Van Vliet and Ntombesintu Mfunzi in the tough heartbreak Hill Half Marathon which also incorporated the Eastern Province Championships. Van Vliet took the victory in a time of 1:20:28, well ahead of Mfunzi who finished in 1:27:17. In the men’s race, Andile Motwana finished on the podium with his 3rd place. Motwana crossed the line in 1:07:27.
With races now back in full swing, members who have not renewed their 2022 license numbers are urged to do so. We look forward to welcoming you at our Nedbank RC green gazebos at races around the country!
Marshalls World of Sport Stella Royal 25 km & 10 km
3. Muziwenkosi Mjaja (Nedbank RC) 1:26:58
Avbob Tygerberg 30 km
2. Vakalisa Kopolo (Nedbank RC) 1:50:57
3. Siyabonga Sakwe (Nedbank RC) 1:51:33
Sasol Marathon, Half Marathon & 10 km
1. Charles Soza (Nedbank RC) 1:09:50
1. Ina Du Plessis (Nedbank RC) 41:26
Heartbreak Hill Half Marathon
(Incorporating the Eastern Province Half-Marathon Championships)
3. Andile Motwana (Nedbank RC) 1:07:27
5. Packson Banda (Nedbank RC) 1:09:31
1. George Ntshiliza (Nedbank RC) 1:12:05
3. Anele Maliza (Nedbank RC) 1:13:20
3. Mutekile Rasmeni (Nedbank RC) 1:23:51
3. Eddie Eades (Nedbank RC) 1:50:03
3. Ronan van der Vaart (Nedbank RC) 1:26:59
1. Kelly van Vliet (Nedbank RC) 1:20:28
2. Ntombesintu Mfunzi (Nedbank RC) 1:27:17 (Also 1st vet)
4. Liza-Marie Kingston (Nedbank RC) 1:34:06 (Also 2nd vet)
1. Suzette Victor (Nedbank RC) 1:49:13
Mall of the North Marathon, Half Marathon & 10 km
1. Tebogo Pulusa (Nedbank RC) 2:23:42
3. Modibe Mamabolo (Nedbank RC) 2:29:55
Richards Bay Hippo Marathon, Half Marathon & 10 km
1. Apehendule Vusani (Nedbank RC) 1:09:48
ASA Athletics Grand Prix 2
6. Bruce-Lynn Damons (Nedbank RC) 3:43.20
5. Kobie Griffiths (Nedbank RC) 4:40.88
Endurocad League Meeting 1
1. Anthony Timoteus (Nedbank RC) 13:36.11 PB
9. Bruce Lynn Damons (Nedbank RC) -14:12.95