The Two Oceans Marathon (TOM) is pleased to announce that entries for
the 51st edition of our iconic and globally enjoyed race open this week.
TOM 2020 heralds a new era for the Two Oceans Marathon with exciting changes, such as an enhanced runner experience both along the route and at the Finish Village at UCT, as well as a brand refresh.
Ballot system confirmed
More significantly, TOM will implement a ballot system for both the Ultra and Half Marathon.
Following the unprecedented swift sell-out of Ultra Marathon entries in 2019, the ballot or draw system will be used, in line with international best practice, as is done in other world-class major marathons.
Given the high level by which demand for entries exceeds supply, the draw system is a more equitable process compared to the anxiety that comes with the traditional ‘first come, first served’ sprint to the payment check-out portal. The intention is to give runners a smoother, more inclusive, fairer and audited process.
There will be seven days in which runners can apply to ‘be in the running’ to have their name drawn to secure an entry. This entry is subject to subsequent payment and providing any missing information by the applicable deadlines.
There are two draws for the Ultra and Half Marathons each.
Ultra Marathon draws:
- The first Ultra Marathon draw is for runners who have 7 or more TOM Ultra Marathon medals.
- The second draw is for everyone else.
Half Marathon draws:
- The first Half Marathon draw is for runners who belong to South African running clubs.
- Accordingly, and in acknowledgment of this, those not picked in Half Marathon draw 1 automatically go into draw 2.
There may also be an extra draw for the Ultra marathon if the uptake of entries is lower than expected.
Loyal TOM Ultra Marathon runners who have completed 7 or more Ultra Marathons will stand a higher chance of being drawn in the Ultra ballot in appreciation of their support of our prestigious brand.
Entries and Ballot opening dates
- BNC and Yellow Number Holders: Monday, 18 November 2019, PM.
- Cape Town International Friendship Run: Monday, 18 November 2019.
Fees, payment deadlines and more info for both the above: https://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/events/ultra-marathon/; https://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/events/half-marathon/
- Ultra and Half Marathon ballot applications: Tuesday, 19 November 2019 (opening date) to 5pm on Monday, 25 November 2019 (closing date).
- Charity entries: Monday, 2 December. Fees will be uploaded once final charity selections have been made and the respective charities advise us of their selling prices.
- Fun Runs: 2 December 2019
Fees, payment deadlines and more info: https://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/events/fun-runs/
- Trail Runs: TBC. This event is currently under review for TOM2020. Confirmation as to the status of this event will be communicated as soon as possible.
The 2020 entry fees have been finalised and approved by Western Province Athletics.
For licensed South African athletes the 56km Ultra Marathon is R575 (including the Ultra T-shirt) and the 21.1km half marathon is R275.
Half Marathon T-shirts will be available at R275 each.
For the full list of entry fees, please consult our website, www.twooceansmarathon.org.za
Click here for the most frequently asked questions and answers for TOM 2020.
Stay up to date with #TOM2020 race info on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.