Profile of the Nedbank Running Club
Nedbank Running Club Overview
At the end of 2006 Nedbank incorporated a series of road running events throughout the road running season in conjunction with Athletics South Africa (ASA). The events were called the Nedbank Matha Series and started in 2007. The series hosted races from 5 km fun runs up to 42,2 km standard marathons. Great battles were seen between the elite runners in South Africa as well as between the youth and up-and-coming talent who competed in the shorter distances.
Nedbank's big step of launching the Nedbank Matha Series made it clear that it was serious about getting involved in the sport of road running.
In January 2008 Nedbank decided to get even more involved and broadened its spectrum by establishing 10 road running clubs and two development clubs across South Africa. These running clubs focus on attracting and actively targeting Nedbank employees, Nedbank clients and the general public.
Whether your goal is to get fit, kick a habit, lose a few centimetres or just improve your general health, road running offers a cheap and easy way to achieve your goals.
Getting started is easier than you think, thanks to Nedbank's 12 Nedbank Running Clubs, which are located across the country.
The clubs were founded nine years ago and are open to runners of all abilities. They provide an easily accessible platform for likeminded people to get together and pursue a healthy lifestyle.
In addition, the Nedbank Running Club (NRC) has attracted the cream of South African runners and their consistent weekly presence on podiums around the country is evidence that the NRC is on the right track.
Under the expert management of Nick Bester (past winner of the Comrades Marathon and multidiscipline athlete) the NRC has grown its membership base from a modest 1 200 in 2008 to 4 100 by the end of 2016.
Nedbank's representation at the 2016 edition of the Comrades Marathon saw more than 1 000 NRC runners enter the event, with no fewer than nine of the 20 gold medals going to NRC members. Our athletes won both of the most prestigious races in the country, namely the Comrades Marathon and the Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon. We look forward to seeing the Nedbank colours fill the streets once again in 2017.
It's never too late to take to the roads. We have a club near you and look forward to welcoming you all. Join us and become a part of the Nedbank road running family!
To find out how visit www.nedbankrunningclub.co.za or call 012 541 0577.
Some benefits that you can experience when Becoming a member of the Nedbank Running Club.
You will be part of a running club that:
• attracts and actively targets Nedbank employees, Nedbank clients and the general running public;
• focuses specifically on women, athletes with disabilities and youth in accordance with ASA age limits;
• provides members and visitors with regular running activities where they can enjoy and improve their sport and socialise;
• participates in national and provincial athletics association events;
• encourages, motivates and trains young upcoming athletes from all walks of life;
• has a strong focus on standardised, internationally recognised road running distances up to and including the marathon (42,2 km);
• has clubs that are situated nationally in 12 cities so that you, as a member, can join and share in their activities at any given time throughout the year;
• has weekly well-organised time trials;
• has at least one club race tent per month where you will be served with refreshments after a race, and a gazebo at most of the major races in their province where you can leave your tog bag and valuables;
• has a hospitality area at major national races such as the Comrades, Two Oceans, Nedbank Soweto Marathon and Om Die Dam;
• gives you access to the national NRC website that has useful running information, up-to-date reports and announcements of road running events, as well as club information and newsletters;
• enables you to associate with winners and road running champions such as David Manja, Irvette van Zyl, Ludwick Mamobolo, Coolboy Ngamole, Claude Moshiywa, Charné Bosman and Joel Mmone;
• has one of the lowest club and licence fees in the country;
• provides a platform where you can ask expert and personal advice and obtain training programme information from the Nedbank Green Dream Team running legends; and
• has organised social functions throughout the year.
If you are a Nedbank employee, you will get R50 off your already-low membership fees.
The variety of Nike/Nedbank running attire is of a very high quality with a modern design. You can choose between the traditional vest and shorts or crop top and tights, long- and short-sleeved T-shirts, tracksuits, long and quarter tights for winter, golf shirts, caps, running briefs, etc