The Knysna Forest Marathon & Half Marathon are two of South Africa’s most-hotly contested running races, and athletes from the Nedbank Running Club (NRC) produced some fantastic results by claiming most of the podium positions at the 34th running of this race.
In the men’s marathon John April took first with teammate Mzolisi Makhanda third and Lindile Tokota 9th (first in his age category). In the half marathon the first 4 positions belonged to Lloyd Bosman, Ettienne Plaatjies, Siphiwo Klaas and Godwin Heyns. To put a cherry on the top two more NRC men placed in the top 10 with Gershwill Jacobs finishing 6th and Rodney Prins 7th. The ladies did their part with Melissa van Rensburg finishing second lady overall in the half marathon and Mareli Van Schalkwyk 4th. Talk about a show of green!
From Knysna to Nigeria: NRC’s walking speed queen Anél Oosthuizen was selected – alongside team mate Tshepo Tshite –to represent South Africa at the 2018 CAA Africa Championships held from 1-5 August in Nigeria. Oosthuizen will be competing in the 20km Race Walk event while Tshite will be competing in the 800m race.
In Gauteng a number of development athletes as well as elites had a busy weekend of racing starting with some Cross-Country racing on Saturday followed with some speedy short distance road running on Sunday. Philimon Mathiba placed 8th at the CGA Cross-Country League before following that up with a first place at the Northgate 10km the very next day. Portia Ngwenya took the women’s race while Kutlwisiso Sidinile finished second Junior.
Apart from some speedy racing countrywide a lot of coaching and preparation is currently underway to qualify for the upcoming ASA Cross-Country Championships in Port Elizabeth on September 8th. The development group under Enoch Skosana is especially focused on their preparation with one of the athletes – Temba Khuza – clocking a speedy 37-minute at a recent 10km race.
Last but not least former Comrades winner and 2018 Gold medallist Charné Bosman participated in one of her first races back since Comrades and she did it in style, clocking 88:17 at the Garsfontein Ice Breaker Half Marathon.
SISONKE 10 KM CHALLENGE, INANDA DAM, 8 JULY
3. Luyanda Msomi (NRC) 46:25
2. Precious Duma (NRC) 52:24 (1st Vet)
1. Precious Duma (NRC) 52:24
GARSFONTEIN ICE BREAKER HALF MARATHON & 10 KM, PRETORIA, 7 JULY
1. Moses Njuguna (NRC/KEN) 74:39
1. Charné Bosman (NRC) 88:17 (1st Vet)
1. Charné Bosman (NRC) 88:17
1. Themba Khoza (NRC) 37:37
AVBOB EERSTERIVIER 15 KM, EERSTERIVIER, 7 JULY?
1. Mthandazo Qhina (NRC) 48:48
2. Vakalisa Kopolo (NRC) 49:13
2. Robbie Lindsay (NRC) 63:36
3. Mbali Hashe (NRC) n/t.
2. Bulelwa Simae (NRC) 59:14 (1st Vet)
1. Bulelwa Simae (NRC) 59:14
1. Obertina Kanyongo (NRC/ZIM) 64:11
2. Olga Howard (NRC) 64:28
2. Charmaine Cupido (NRC) 72:54
VOLKSWAGEN 10 KM, UITENHAGE, 30 JUNE
3. Alfred Qogi (NRC) 36:23 ?
2. Mutekile Rasmeni (NRC) 38:02 ?
3. Welcome Loliwe (NRC) 38:43?
3. Buyelwa Kobokana (NRC) 47:37 ?
1. Vicky Oelofse (NRC) 42:25 ?
NORTHGATE 10KM, NORTHGATE, 8 JULY
1. Phillimon Mathiba (NRC) 33:07
2. Kutlwisiso Sidinile (NRC) 34:11
1. Portia Ngwenya (NRC) 37:35
4. Andronica Mokgotla (NRC) 40:11
KNYSNA FOREST MARATHON & HALF MARATHON
1. John April (NRC) 2:34:48
3. Mzolisi Makhanda (NRC) 2:36:22
9. Lindile Tokota (NRC) 2:54 (1st 50-59)
1. Lloyd Bosman (NRC) 01:06:10
2. Ettienne Plaatjies (NRC) 01:08:03
3. Siphiwo Klaas (NRC) 01:08:10
4. Godwin Heyns (NRC) 01:08:42
6. Gershwill Jacobs (NRC) 01:10:00
7. Rodney Prins (NRC) 01:12:35
3. Melissa Van Rensburg (NRC) 01:25
4. Mareli Van Schalkwyk (NRC) 01:30
CGA CROSS-COUNTRY #6, WESTONARIA, 7 JULY
SR. MEN (10km)
2. Ntsindiso Mphakathi (NRC) 28:44
6. Phillimon Mathiba (NRC) 29:57
SR MEN (4km)
6. Lucky Mtshali (NRC) 12:07
SR WOMEN (4km)
3. Andronica Mokgotla (NRC) 14:33
JR MEN (8km)
5. Kutlwisiso Sidinile (NRC) 24:08
9. Scelo Mashaba (NRC) 25:54
JR WOMEN (6km)
1. Welma Nkuna (NRC) 22:43
CROSS-COUNTRY, WP LEAGUE MEETING (3RD) YOUNGSFIELD, 1 JULY
SR. MEN (10 km) ?
3. Siviwe Nkombi (NRC) 34:39 ?
SR. MEN (4km) ?
5. Mbali Hhashe (NRC) 13:21 ?
MASTER MEN (8 km)
2. Andrew Cooper ?(NRC) 34:04
U.20 (8 km)
1. Mbali Hhashe (NRC) 28:02 ?
SR. WOMEN (10 km)
1. Bulelwa Simae (NRC) 41:45 ?
5. Madele Du Plessis (NRC) 46:17 ?
SR. WOMEN (4km)
1. Kobie Griffiths (NRC) 16:44 ??
VETERAN WOMEN (4km)?
2. Bulelwa Simae (NRC) 17:57 ?
3. Sharon Nel (NRC) 18:11 ?
MASTER WOMEN (4km)
1. Olga Howard (NRC) 18:20